November 18, 2008

What the heck is charting??

Since some of you who read my blog are unfamiliar with charting, I’ve decided to blog a little bit about what exactly charting entails. Hopefully after this explanation you’ll have a better idea of what I have to do on a daily basis to watch for my fertile phase. And to my charting experts, please let me know if I get any of this wrong. :)

In March of this year, I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) by Toni Weschler, MPH. It’s one of the most informative pieces of information I’ve ever read. I recommend every woman (young and younger) read this book. It comprises of very valuable information for adolescents, those who wish to conceive, those who wish to avoid, and those who are reaching and experiencing menopause (basically all women alive).

Here’s a quote from Toni that I encourage you to read (Just the second and third paragraphs): http://www.ovusoft.com/library/tonimessage.asp

Every morning I wake up at the same time (for me, it’s 7 am), even if I intend to go back to sleep. I immediately take my BBT (basal body temperature a.k.a. waking temperature). I do not get up to go to the bathroom first. I simply lay there and wait for the beep! I chart those temps on a daily basis and input them into my online software. An increase in your temp, followed up three consecutive increased temps in the same range (above the coverline) would usually mean ovulation. Then the LP (luteal phase) begins. If your temp stays above the coverline for the 18 consecutive days, this usually means pregnancy. If your temp suddenly decreases within your LP, AF is sure to arrive soon.

There are a few other details I monitor along with my waking temp. I won’t go into details but I also check my CM (cervical mucus) and CP (cervical position). With ovulation my temp should increase, I should experience EWCM (egg white cervical mucus) and my CP should be high, soft, and open.

Here is a “textbook” chart:
And here’s an annov chart – this is what I’ve been seeing since I started charting which indicates no O:

No comments:

Post a Comment